Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hate Crime

I've been hearing a lot of chatter lately about how the media hypes up white on black/hispanic hate crimes. I've been hearing a lot of complaining about how unfair that is. It's probably even true. However, when I think about the history of this country, about our noble unassailable forefathers who used human beings as pieces of property, I cringe. I tremble when I think about how the white man has treated those of a different color of skin. I wince when I look at our country now, still in large part dominated by the white, man.

No, the media coverage is probably not always fair. I guess that bothers me. But still, when I look deep inside my heart, there are some ugly truths lingering there. Like my instinct to lock my vehicle's doors when a black or hispanic man walks by. Like my irritation when someone doesn't speak in "proper" english. Like my desire to move out of the city into the suburbs where it's safer, and white. Sometimes, I think when I get so offended by racism and bigotry, it's because secretly in the darkest parts of my conscience, there's a little bigot screaming to be let loose.

This world needs redemption. I don't think what I struggle with is any less than what most people struggle with, regardless of race. We struggle to see the humanity in each other because all we care about is ourselves. The only people we ever let close are the ones we can understand, the people who are most like us in color, speech, and behavior.

Jesus came to teach us how to love the whole world. This is my desire. To see, and teach others to see beyond color, dress, even sex. To love, and share the knowledge of that love. Always hate is knocking at the door. It is a hungry beast, and cannot be satisfied. It must be slain.

No comments:

Post a Comment