Tuesday, September 6, 2011

False Walls

I have been characterized on numerous occasions as a quiet, thoughtful person who doesn't speak much. I've been told I'm a deep thinker, and a problem solver. These things are true. I like that they are true. They help me to visualize myself as wise, caring, confident, and insightful. I feel pretty good about that. Most of the time.

I wish that was the whole picture.

The truth is that often that quiet, thoughtful part of my personality is often a mask for fear. The truth is that often when I'm feeling particularly insecure about my faith and my worth in Christ I simply smile, shrug, and explain that "I really just don't have much to say on the subject." The truth is that I struggle deeply with sin that I simply don't want other people to know about. It's embarrassing, shameful actually, to try to explain that honestly, the reason I'm not talking much is because I'm afraid of what I might say and who might find out. I might open myself up so wide that people might find out that I'm not quite as admirable and stoic of a figure as they thought.

It's silly really. Or, rather, it's pride.

I'm discovering that God is a God of great mercy. I'm discovering that he loves us all, including myself, unconditionally. I'm finding that even when I've put up every kind of defensive wall I can think of to hide what I can't bear to be seen, He can obliterate those walls in a unrelenting yet completely gentle way. As painful as that really is, the freedom it brings is incomparably and brilliantly life giving. It's new life, and it is so very good.




No comments:

Post a Comment